Curried Lentils & Cauliflower
Author: bonsaimediagroup on Dec 30th, 2011
Recipe Category: Soup
This is one of my favorite lentil recipes of all times! The curry gives this hearty soup a warming quality and the cauliflower makes for a more interesting texture. It can be stored for several days in the refrigerator and the flavor just keeps getting better each day!
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into flowerettes
- ½ - 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger root
- ¾ - 1 cup water
- Wash and drain the lentils. Place in pot with bay leaf and water and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and let simmer 25-30 minutes, until lentils are soft.
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add onion, garlic and salt and saute
until onion is soft. Add coriander, cumin, turmeric and cinnamon,
cauliflower, tomato sauce, ginger root, and water. Stir well.
Cover and let simmer until the cauliflower is tender (10-15 minutes).
- Stir cooked lentils into cauliflower tomato mixture, discarding the bay leaf.
Makes 6 servings