Green Bean & Mushroom Casserole
Author: Michelle Babb & Bridget Nichols on Jan 3rd, 2012
Recipe Category: Entrees
1 Hour 20 Minutes
This delicious, gluten-free, dairy-free version of the traditional Thanksgiving green bean casserole will keep the family happy and healthy. It's so flavorful that you won't even miss the canned soup and fried onions.
- 3 - small delicata squash, washed and chopped into ½" chunks (with skin)
- ½ pound crimini mushrooms, diced
- ¼ pound shitake mushrooms, diced
- ¼ pound Morels or Chanterelles, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ cup coconut oil (4 tablespoon, divided)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups mushroom broth
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 lb fresh green beans, washed, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- 2 large shallots, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and cut the squash into ½-inch chunks. In a large bowl, combine the squash, mushrooms, thyme, 2 tablespoons of the coconut oil (melted) and salt. Toss well.
- Spread squash and mushrooms on a baking sheet in a single layer without crowding. Roast for approximately 20 minutes, until squash is tender. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- In large sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, add onions and sauté until they are translucent. Add mushroom broth, red wine, sherry, pepper and roasted squash and mushrooms to the onions and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, until mixture has been reduced and squash breaks down slightly to thicken the ragout.
- Heat a large pot of water to boiling. Add green beans and blanch for 4 minutes. Drain green beans well and place in a 9X13 inch baking dish. Note: if you like crunchier green beans skip this step.
- Pour mushroom and onion mixture over the green beans and mix gently. Toss bread crumbs, shallots, and 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil together. Spread shallots and bread crumbs evenly over the green beans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until bread crumbs and shallots are golden brown.
Makes 6 servings