Pomegranate Salad with Toasted Hazelnuts
Author: Michelle Babb on Dec 30th, 2011
This is a beautiful, festive second course. The pomegranate seeds provide a fresh burst of flavor with every bite, and the toasted hazelnuts give this salad an earthy, sophisticated flavor.
- 1½ cups hazelnuts
- 8 cups mixed greens
- 1 pomegranate, seeds only*
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 jicama, peeled and shredded
- Champagne Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons champagne wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup walnut oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375◦ F.
- Place hazelnuts on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Roast until fragrant and slightly brown (~8 minutes). Remove from heat, transfer to clean dishtowel and roll hazelnuts in the dishtowel until most of the skin is removed.
- In a large bowl, toss mixed greens, pomegranate seeds, carrots and jicama and set aside.
- Whisk together champagne vinegar, walnut oil and sea salt and drizzle over the salad. Toss until ingredients are well coated. Place salad on plates.
- Coarsely chop the hazelnuts. Sprinkle hazelnuts over each salad before serving.
*TIP: to get the seeds out of the pomegranate, simply roll the pomegranate back and forth on a cutting board to counter top, pushing down slightly to help loosen the seeds. Cut the pomegranate in half. Hold one half of the pomegranate face down over a bowl and tap the pomegranate firmly with a wooden spoon. The seeds will fall into the bowl. Repeat with the other half.
Makes 4 servings