Pumpkin Coconut Pie with Almond Crust
Author: Michelle Babb on Dec 30th, 2011
1 Hour 15 Minutes
This pie is gluten-free, dairy-free and absolutely DE-LICIOUS! This crust was inspired by Susan O'Brien's crust recipe in her book "Gluten Free Sugar Free Cooking." And since the crust is made from almonds, it's also a fairly low glycemic dessert.
Crust (makes two crusts)
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1/3 cup arrowroot
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups freshly cooked or canned pumpkin puree
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk
- ½ cup agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves or allspice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In large bowl, combine almond meal, arrowroot, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt and mix well.
- Add coconut oil and blend with a fork or pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly.
- Slowly mix in the water until the dough forms a ball.
- Divide into two equal size balls, cover and chill for about one hour.
- In large bowl, whisk eggs then continue to add all filling ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Roll out one dough ball between two sheets of waxed paper (dough tears easily, so roll with caution).
- Carefully transfer rolled dough to 9-inch pie pan. Place in the preheated oven for 8 -10 minutes to warm the crust.
- Pour filling into pie pan and bake for 35 - 45 minutes. You may need to place foil around the edges if the crust starts to get too brown. Remove from oven and cool completely before serving.
Serving tip: For a whipped cream alternative, top with one generous scoop of Coconut Bliss (vanilla or coconut flavor). It tastes like ice cream and it's dairy free!
Makes 8-10 servings