Quinoa Pecan Dressing
Author: bonsaimediagroup on Dec 30th, 2011
Recipe Category: Thanksgiving
This dressing is gluten free and can replace the traditional "stove top" style of dressing. It's delicious and the quinoa makes it a much healthier option so it's a wonderful, guilt-free side dish.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil or coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 ½ cups chopped cremini mushrooms
- 1 small apple, cored, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- ¼ cup vegetable broth, white wine or water
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Rinse quinoa and place in a large saucepan. Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Remove lid and fluff with a fork.
- Spread pecans on the baking sheet and place in the oven until lightly toasted (~5 - 7 minutes). Remove from oven and transfer to the food processor. Coarsely chop the pecans while adding the sage and thyme. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add mushrooms and continue to sauté until mushrooms are tender. Add apple chunks and vegetable broth. Cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes, until apple is tender. Add 1 cup cooked quinoa (you will have leftover quinoa) and the pecan/herb mixture to the sauté pan and stir until all ingredients are well combined.
Makes 4-6 servings