Sweet Potato Mash with Cinnamon & Spice
Author: Bridget Nichols on Jan 4th, 2012
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite holiday foods. They are naturally sweet and loaded with vitamin C, potassium, and fiber. With the addition of orange zest, cinnamon, ginger and cloves, you won't even miss the marshmallows!
- 4 medium yams, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or brown rice syrup
- Zest from 1 orange
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup toasted pecans, chopped (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add yams and boil until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain yams and place in a large bowl.
- Add agave nectar, orange zest, orange juice, cinnamon, ginger cloves and salt.
- Mash yams until smooth and top with toasted pecans if desired.
Makes 6 servings