Swiss Chard and Farro Salad
Author: Michelle Babb on Jan 4th, 2012
Recipe Category: Veggies & Sides
This hearty salad is colorful, delicious and has lots of texture. Farro is an ancient grain that's similar to spelt. Although it's in the wheat family, many people who are sensitive to wheat can tolerate farro.
- 1 cup farro
- 4 cups water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, washed and chopped
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded or grated
- ½ cup flax seed or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ avocado
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: feta cheese
- Rinse and drain farro and place in a large saucepan.
- Add water and salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for approximately 40 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and refrigerate until cool.
- In a large bowl, combine chard, parsley, tomatoes, cucumber and carrots and set aside.
- In food processor or blender, combine olive oil, vinegar, garlic, avocado, salt and pepper and blend well.
- Add 1 cup farro to the salad mixture.
- Drizzle dressing over the salad and toss well.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for 1-2 hours to allow flavors to combine.
Makes 6 servings