Tomato Veggie Casserole
Author: Inspired by Giada De Laurentiis on Jan 4th, 2012
Recipe Category: Entrees
Error parsing XSLT file: \xslt\uTube/chromeless.player.xslt
This delicious recipe was selected by 14-year-old Claire Looney from Giada's collection of delicious vegetable dishes. I modified the recipe to make it gluten-free, and it can also be made without dairy. This mouth-watering casserole is packed with nutrient-dense vegetables that blend well together.
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium yam, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 2 small or 1 large zucchini, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
- Salt and pepper
- large ripe tomatoes, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan (optional)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (4 tablespoons if omitting dairy)
- Fresh basil sprigs, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the potato, yam, bell pepper, celery, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss until coated. Spread vegetables evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- Arrange the onion slices evenly over the vegetable mixture. Arrange the zucchini over the onion. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange the tomato slices over the zucchini.
- Mix the Parmesan with the nutritional yeast. Sprinkle the mixture over the vegetables in the baking dish.
- Bake uncovered until the vegetables are tender, and the topping is golden brown, about 40 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil sprigs, if desired.
Makes 6-8 servings