Turkey Sausage, Lentil and Mushroom Stew
Author: Leah Goldstein on Dec 30th, 2011
Recipe Category: Entrees
This hearty stew is perfectly suited for a cold winter day. The spicy turkey sausage warms you up from the inside out and is the perfect accompaniment to the earthy mushrooms and lentils. Serve with sauteed greens for a nutritionally well-rounded meal.
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups red onion, diced
8 ounces spicy Italian turkey or chicken sausage
- 1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
5 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 ½ cups Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup French lentils, uncooked
5 cups chicken or mushroom broth
- 2 tablespoons brandy
Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat oil in large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook 5 minutes or until tender.
- Remove casings from sausage and add to pan. Cook 8 minutes or until sausage is browned, stirring to crumble.
- Add celery, carrot, garlic and bay leaf and cook for 10 minutes or until onion is golden brown, stir frequently.
- Stir in mushrooms and cook 10 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates
- Stir in lentils, broth, brandy, salt and pepper
- Bring mixture to a boil, cover and reduce heat and simmer 1 hour or until lentils are tender.
- Discard bay leaf and ladle soup into individual bowls and sprinkle with parsley.
Makes 8 servings