Tuscan White Bean Soup
Author: bonsaimediagroup on Dec 30th, 2011
Recipe Category: Soup
1 Hour 20 Minutes
Bean soups are hearty and nutritious and this Tuscan-inspired soup is no exception. Experiment with your favorite vegetables, but don't forget the Swiss chard. It's a great way to get more greens into your diet!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium scallion, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small yellow pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup dried Italian herbs1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1½ - 2 cups water
- 1 15-ounce can white Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup brown rice
- 3 cups washed and chopped Swiss chard or fresh spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in soup pot over medium heat.
- Sauté the scallion, onion, peppers and garlic until the onion is lightly browned.
- Add the Italian herbs and tomatoes and continue to cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add broth, water, beans and rice and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the chard or spinach and continue simmering for 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Makes 8 servings