Wild Rice & Roasted Vegetable Salad
Author: Michelle Babb on Jan 4th, 2012
Recipe Category: Veggies & Sides
1 Hour 10 Minutes
This rich, delicious blend of wild rice and roasted seasonal vegetables is the perfect accompaniment to any poultry dish. I serve it as a side dish as part of the Thanksgiving meal and it's always a crowd pleaser!
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 small, sweet onion or 2 scallions
- 1 zucchini
- 1 ½ cups cremini or button mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon dried herbs (oregano, basil, thyme, sage or choice of any herbs)
- ¼ cup balsamic
- vinaigrette (Annie's brand is my favorite)
- Preheat oven to 425◦ F.
- Place the rice in a bowl of cold water and scrub lightly between your fingers for about five seconds.
- Pour rice into a fine strainer and drain. Place the rice into a large saucepan and add the stock.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for approximately 50 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and the grain is tender but not mushy.
- While rice is cooking, chop all vegetables coarsely and place in a roasting pan. Add chopped garlic.
- Drizzle olive oil over the vegetables and toss until
Spread vegetables out in a single layer in the pan. Roast in preheated oven for 20 minutes, turning vegetables after 10 minutes.
- Combine roasted vegetables with cooked wild rice and toss with balsamic vinaigrette while still warm. Serve warm or cold.
Makes 6 servings